Saturday, May 9, 2009

Rodrigo Hernandez

Books:
Routing and Switching certification guide, its from Cisco Press.
Routing TCP/IP Volume 1 from Jeff Doyle, also Cisco Press
Volume 2 of the Jeff Doyles Book

First, I read the routing and switching guide and then the Jeff Doyle's books, but I reccommend doing the opposite, the Doyles cover everything in detail, so you want that first, then the cert gudie, covers everything with less detail and adds some new features that the other books dont cover.

After reading this 3 books I did and passed the written test, this took like 1 or 2 months.


Workbooks:
I used internetwork Expert's core lab workbook and volume 1&2 complete workbooks, thats like 40 labs and lots of hours.

I first did all 30 labs from the workbooks and then the core labs, but, again, this is not what I recommend, its better if you do all Vol.1 labs then all cores and then all Vol.2 labs, if you can do some of them 2 times, do it!

I did from 2 to 3 labs per week, did 1 lab and the next day I graded it. One week I did 4 labs and the last study week I did 8 (from sunday to sunday, exam was on wednesday)

*note: this will be what gives you all the practical knowledge, so do it!


Videos
After my first lab attempt, I realized I had much more to learn, so I used some videos, this were the CoDs form Internetwork Expert and the CBTnuggets.

The CBTnuggets were the first I saw, they are short and can teach you some things with out boring you. Have some mistakes, so you need to validate some things, but they are OK and short. Wont hurt if you use them.
Then I used the IE CoDs, those are some good videos, but if you are like me and used to sleep at school when the teacher is talking, it will be hard, I couldnt finish the videos because they are too big, so I slept in most of them. If you like taking class, use them!


Mock Labs
I did the 4 Internetwork Exper Mock Labs, they are really cool since they are actually graded by people, not an automatic script. I did one after the 20 Vol.1 Labs and 3 on my last study week, gave me a good feel about the exam and how it is graded.

*note: Be careful, sometimes IExperts fall down the schedule and send the results like one week after you make the exam.


Racks
Didnt have a home rack, so I used the IExperts one, they are ok and perfect if you are using their workbook, since you dont have to config the FR switch and have exactly the same topology. They have a good customer service also.


DocCD
VERY IMPORTANT! use it daily, use it for work, use it for studying, use for everything! why? maybe you wont use it at all for the exam (I used it for 2 questions) BUT will give you a huge boost at work, you can find everything there, so use it! know it! 2 questions can be either a pass or fail.

Tips before the exam
-The week before try doing some labs, but dont over study. I did labs daily, but if I was tired I stopped.
-Try doing some labs without a PC, do it on your mind and just see if your thinking was right, this is less stressful and if its your last study day (or days), you wont learn anything new (if you did study well)
-Arrive to your hotel 1 or 2 days before the exam.
-Take some books to the hotel, maybe you wont even open them, but it wont hurt you.
-Take the workbooks to the hotel and if you want to study a little, do some labs in your mind, do it fast, you can finish one in 30 mins, BUT DONT MEMORIZE THE ANSWERS!!! THINK!!!!
-The day before dont study, go to eat, watch a movie and sleep. No need to be nervous.
-The day of the exam, have a nice breakfast! get a shower!
-Dont fly the same day.


Tips for the lab
-Read all the lab once and quickly
-Check the diagrams (I didnt draw them again)
-BE CALM
-Ask any doubt to the proctor
-Resolve everything quickly so you get lots of hours to check answers
-READ EVERY WORD!! AND PAY ATTENTION!
***VERY IMPOTANT: ENJOY!!!!!!!!


The best thing I can tell you is enjoy the exam and the study and you will become an expert. If you work at something you like, its not hard.

I passed the lab with 5 months of studying, less than one year of field experience, was 23 years old and passed on my first attempt, so dont listen to those recommendations


DONT DO THE EXAM IF YOU DONT ENJOY CHALLENGES AND NETWORKING!

No comments:

Post a Comment